The Trick To Getting Rid Of Cockroaches In Your Oklahoma City Home
February 07, 2022 - Cockroaches
Cockroaches are a common household nuisance and a major reason why homeowners look for professional pest control in Oklahoma City. While there are several measures you can take to prevent a cockroach infestation, once these insects are in your home, they can be tough to eliminate without the help of an expert.
Discovering cockroaches in your house can be alarming, but today's extermination techniques are highly effective. Read on to learn more about how to keep cockroaches out of your home and how Alpha Omega Pest Control can help in the event of an infestation.
The Types Of Roaches That Invade Oklahoma City Homes
It can be hard to identify cockroaches if you aren't familiar with their characteristics. There are several bugs similar to cockroaches, including some species of beetles, crickets, and giant water bugs. Here are the main types of cockroaches found in the local Oklahoma City area, along with their traits:
- German: These roaches are light brown or tan with two dark parallel stripes behind their heads.
- Brown-banded: This type of cockroach is dark brown. It also has two lighter brown bands on its wings.
- Oriental: You can identify this cockroach by its black, shiny appearance. They are also a larger type of roach, averaging about one inch in length
- American: This roach is a reddish-brown color. It also has a figure-eight pattern on the back of its head.
If you notice any insects in your home that look like any of the above types, it may be time to contact a cockroach exterminator in Oklahoma City like Alpha Omega Pest Control.
The Health Concerns Cockroaches Are Known To Create In Homes
At the first signs of cockroaches in your home, you should take action right away to get rid of an infestation. These pests can cause a variety of health concerns that have the potential to make you and your family sick. Cockroaches don't cause disease outbreaks, but they do exacerbate indoor allergies and carry harmful bacteria. Their eggs, feces, and shed skins negatively impact your home's air quality and cause allergic reactions. These irritants can also trigger asthma attacks.
If cockroaches come into contact with any of the food in your home, they can contaminate it with bacteria like streptococcus or salmonella. Cockroaches also carry serious diseases like cholera, typhoid fever, and dysentery.
Simple Yet Effective Tips To Keep Cockroaches From Returning
Discovering a cockroach infestation in your home can be devastating. Luckily, there are several things you can do around the house to prevent them from wreaking havoc. Try implementing the following tips:
- Store all food in airtight containers.
- Don't leave dirty dishes in the sink overnight.
- Wipe up all food and beverage messes immediately.
- Declutter your home and remove all empty cardboard boxes and newspapers.
- Don't allow trash to accumulate, and keep garbage in a receptacle with a lid.
- Fix leaky faucets and pipes.
- Repair leaks in your roof.
- Seal all cracks in ceilings and walls.
- Consider keeping the temperature cool in your home or apartment (cockroaches enjoy warm climates).
- Place traps around your home.
If you still have roaches in your home after using preventative measures, contact a qualified pest control company like Alpha Omega Pest Control. They know how to get rid of cockroaches for good, so you can rest assured they won't return.
Why You Should Call The Pros About Roaches In Your Home
Regardless of which types of cockroaches you find in your home, a professional has the tools to treat and prevent an infestation effectively. Alpha Omega Pest Control has been a trusted cockroach exterminator in Oklahoma City since 2001. We offer both individual treatments and scheduled maintenance services to keep your home pest-free all year long. Give us a call today to schedule an estimate.