How To Keep Hornets & Wasps Away From Your Oklahoma City Yard
March 15, 2022 - Stinging Insects
Want to hear a little secret? All hornets are wasps. When you have a hornet problem in your Oklahoma City yard, you're going to address that problem in the same way you would address any wasp problem, and you'll use the same eco-friendly pest prevention methods. While there are some differences between hornets and other wasp species, they're all attracted to the same things.
Let's take a look at what wasps or hornets are most common in Oklahoma City, problems they may present, how to prevent wasp problems, and what to do if you find a nest in your yard. If you're dealing with an urgent pest issue and you need professional pest control in Oklahoma City, you can contact us immediately by jumping over to our contact page.
The Types Of Wasps & Hornets That Can Be Found In Oklahoma City
In Oklahoma City, the three common wasps we see are the yellow jacket wasp, paper wasp, and bald-faced hornet (also referred to as a bald-faced wasp).
- A yellow jacket wasp will create its nest in ground holes and in structural voids.
- A paper wasp will create its nest above the ground. These are referred to as aerial nests.
- The bald-faced hornet is considered to be an aerial yellow jacket wasp. While it shares many traits with its cousin, a bald-faced wasp will create its nest above ground instead of underground. These wasps are much larger than yellow jacket wasps, and can be unsettling to deal with.
The Problems Hornets & Wasps Can Create In Your Yard
When stinging insects create a nest in your yard, they can pester you while you enjoy outdoor activities, just as cookouts and poolside gatherings. They can be stirred up when you mow your lawn or work on your landscaping. Often, encounters with wasps come as a surprise. You need to be proactive about wasp inspections and wasp removal if you want to avoid unwanted encounters.
Five Eco-Friendly Wasp-Prevention Tips
Once wasps move in and establish nests, it is difficult to deal with them. Getting rid of yellow jackets in the ground is the worst. We recommend investing in wasp-removal service in Oklahoma City once nests have been developed, but there are many things you can do right now to prevent wasps from establishing nests.
- Address lawn and landscape weed problems. When weeds take over your yard, the tiny flowers that are often produced will be a strong attractant for wasps.
- Address moisture issues and standing water. Wasps drink water from puddles and other resources.
- Do routine inspections for aerial nests in the spring. You can perform your own wasp removal when nests are just beginning to be constructed. Do this during the day and make sure there are no wasps crawling on the tiny paper structure.
- Keep your trash covered. Wasps are attracted to garbage.
- Fill in ground holes to deter yellow jacket wasps. These insects don't burrow into the ground, they use available holes.
The Safest Way To Get Rid Of A Wasp Infestation In Your Yard
If you need assistance getting rid of yellow jackets that have created a nest in a ground hole, the best solution is to contact Alpha Omega Pest Control for wasp removal service in Oklahoma City. Our technicians use field-tested methods and advanced products when getting rid of yellow jackets.
If paper wasps or bald faced wasps are your issue, it is still wise to let our licensed pest professionals handle the problem. It is surprising how easily things can go wrong when residents attempt to destroy developed nests. Let the Alpha Omega Pest Control team handle those potentially painful pests. Reach out to us today for immediate residential pest control service.