Are You Ready For Bed Bug Prevention Month In Oklahoma City?
June 15, 2022 - Bed Bugs
If you suspect you are sharing your home with bed bugs, you may be wondering why they have chosen your home and you as their host. An old wive’s tale is that bed bugs are attracted to dirty places, but that is not true. They are attracted to the body heat and carbon dioxide that humans and warm-blooded animals produce. These tiny hitchhikers need blood to survive, so unless you enjoy being a host and don’t mind being bitten while you sleep, hire pest control in Oklahoma City to rid your home of these pesky creatures sooner rather than later.
What Do Bed Bugs In Oklahoma City Look Like?
How big are bed bugs? And what do bed bugs look like? Adults look like apple seeds. They are flat, oval, and reddish-brown until they feed and then turn purple. Young bed bugs, or nymphs, tend to be invisible to the naked eye because they are so tiny and translucent. If you notice these pests in your bed, on your furniture, or in your luggage, getting bed bug control immediately is essential to killing them before they get out of hand.
Are You Struggling With A Bed Bug Infestation?
Spotting a bed bug infestation can be as easy as pulling back the sheets and seeing the bugs themselves, but usually, it’s not that obvious. Here are some other things to look for to determine if you need bed bug pest control in Oklahoma City:
- Rust-colored or red stains on bed sheets, mattresses, or furniture
- Bed bug feces, which is dark, blurry dots about the size of a pinpoint
- Tiny egg sacs or the shells left behind after the bed bugs have hatched
Look for these signs in places other than your bed. Here are a few of their other favorite spots:
- Chair seams
- Curtain folds
- Loose wallpaper
- Drawer joints
- Electrical receptacles
These pests are the width of a credit card and can hide just about anywhere. Here are a few tips to preventing them from infesting your home, beginning with:
- Keep your floors clear of clutter, such as magazines, clothes, blankets, or trash.
- Vacuum and wash your soft items often, such as bedding, curtains, carpets, rugs, furniture, and pillows.
- Seal cracks and crevices in your foundation, baseboards, and around light sockets and electrical outlets.
- When staying in a hotel room or anywhere other than your own home, check for bed bugs on your belongings before you leave to avoid bringing them back to your house.
The best way to prevent bed bugs is with a regular pest control schedule and call Alpha Omega Pest Control at the first sign of a bed bug.
Six Easy Ways To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs
When it comes to how to get rid of bed bugs, be aware that it takes time and effort. Killing the bugs with pest control services is only part of the process. Washing and cleaning to ensure they don’t return is another part. Here are some ways to help get rid of bed bugs in your Oklahoma City home:
- Wash infected clothing and bedding in hot water for at least 30 minutes, followed by putting them in the dryer on the highest heat setting for at least another 30 minutes.
- Use a steamer where the bed bugs like to hide, such as couches, chairs, curtains, and mattresses.
- Put contaminated items in bags in the freezer at 0℉ or below for at least four days.
- Place infested items in bags and put them outside in the heat until they die. This approach can take several months.
- Use mattress covers to zip up your mattress and box spring. New bugs won’t get in, and trapped bugs will die.
- Hire our experts at Alpha Omega Pest Control to take care of the infestation for you.
Professional pest control is always the right answer, but you still need to wash all your infected bedding and clothing to ensure the infestation doesn’t continue.
Professional Bed Bug Control In Oklahoma City
Our professional extermination methods employed by Alpha Omega Pest Control are the best way to see how pest control can kill bed bugs. The methods we use, and your diligence with infested items will kill these pests for good. Call today for more information!